The perfect food.

by Kris on March 21, 2010 · 16 comments

Eggs. One of nature’s most perfect foods. One of the main reasons why I could never be a vegan is eggs. I love, love, love my eggs. Love the taste, love them in cooking. They are versatile, and can be used for many purposes including in baking as  a leavening agent, emulsifier, and tenderizer or cooking for clarification of liquids, binding and coating of ingredients. They are present in many kitchen staples- salad dressing, mayonnaise, in merigues and custards. And their high nutritional quality make them an ideal food to add to many diets. For only 60-80 calories, they are high in protein (6 grams per large egg, the egg white protein, albumin, is considered the ideal protein), Vitamins A, B vitamins (including B12, essential for vegetarians), D, as well as minerals iron, zinc, choline and selenium . All of the precious vitamins and minerals in eggs are present in the yolks. Although, the high amount of fat (6-7 g per large egg, only 1.5 saturated) and cholesterol have given them a bad rep in the past, as I say- anything in moderation is good for you. Eggs being one of the better things, of course. ;) It is nutritionally recommended you eat no more than 7 yolks per week- that is one full egg per day. If you want more eggs, substitute half or more of your normal eggs for egg whites in scrambles or hard cooked eggs. Save poached and over easy eggs for special occasions.

For more information on the health benefits of eggs, I recently wrote a term paper on this very subject: Sunny Side up

The perfect hard-cooked egg.

The term “hard boiled” is actually incorrect. NOTHING in the kitchen is boiled, especially not eggs. Boiling the eggs for too long will overcook them, and overcooking produces the distinctive smell many people despise when hard cooking eggs. This is due to the production of the compound sulfur when eggs are cooked too long; sulfur  is also responsible for the green “ring” seen in egg yolks that have been overcooked.

To hard cook eggs, you will need a medium sized heavy-bottom saucepan.

1. Place room temperature eggs in saucepan, and cover with COLD water.

2. Bring water to boil. As soon as it reaches a boil, lower heat to a simmer.

3. From boiling, start timing the eggs. They should cook for 10 minutes , no more, no less.

4. Remove eggs from heat, drain and rinse under COLD water to stop cooking immediately. Failing to take eggs off immediately, or drain and cool can cause them to overcook due to carry-over cooking.

And there you have it! The perfect hard boiled cooked egg.

Print Friendly

{ 11 comments }

Jenny March 21, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Thanks! I always have such a hard time doing anything with eggs besides scrambling them!

Kristin March 22, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Glad I can help! =D

Kristie March 21, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I leave the hard (not) boiling to my mom’s culinary skills… mainly because I didn’t really know how to do it and never bothered to look it up. Now maybe I can try for myself though haha. Eggs seriously ARE awesome and I seriously do not eat them NEARLY enough. Mmm eggs.

Kristin March 22, 2010 at 3:38 pm

It is SO easy once you know the proper method!

janetha March 21, 2010 at 9:42 pm

boiling eggs is on my to do list this week! haha. yes. i am a nerd.

Kristin March 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Nah, I love boiling eggs! And to-do lists, I guess I am a nerd too ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 21, 2010 at 11:52 pm

i cannot eat eggs but wanted to say hi anyway :)

Kristin March 22, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for saying Hi! =D

Gena March 23, 2010 at 7:54 am

Eggs and Greek yogurt were the two last non-vegan items to leave my plate! I think one or the other would be the non-vegan foods I still crave now and again, though making tofu scramble with fresh farmer’s market tofu sort of got rid of the egg nostalgia :) That said, I love your enthusiasm for ‘em!

Kristin March 23, 2010 at 2:05 pm

As much as I like eggs, I think I like tofu scrambles WAY more than egg scrambles! I’ll save eggs for poaching and simmering, tofu is the best mixed with veg and spices =D

Deb March 26, 2010 at 8:49 am

Thanks so much for your tips on boiling(cooking as you refer to it) the perfect egg. I just had the most amazing eggs! I have been cooking them all wrong all these years. I used to boil the whole time and then refrigerate to get cold, because that was the only way I enjoyed them. No longer the case. Today I followed your instructions and eat them right away ( sharing the yolks with Kahlua) and loved them. Thanks again. :)

{ 5 trackbacks }