Massaged Kale Salad: Three ways

by Kris on March 28, 2011 · 14 comments

Back during Vegan Week, I introduced one of my favorite vegan (and raw!) lunches: the massaged kale salad. I eat this salad at least twice a week, if not more- often my classic version with a small side, but I also like to mix it up a little.

I thought it would be fun to share a few of my combinations with you, to show you just how versatile this simple green meal can be.

Kale Salad: Three ways

Greek Kale Salad
In this recipe I sub olive oil for the avocado, creating a Mediterranean flare.

1/2 large bunch kale, washed, dried and torn into small pieces
1+ tablespoons olive oil (enough to coat and wilt your salad)
lemon juice and sea salt, to taste
1/2 medium cucumber, cut into wedges
small handful sundried tomatoes, packed in oil
4-5 kalamata olives, sliced
goat or feta cheese, crumbled as a garnish

Massage the kale with olive oil, lemon and salt until it starts to wilt. Add cucumber, sundrieds and olives, mix well. Top with crumbled goat cheese!

Asian Kale Salad
This recipe has an Asian flair with some seaweed and sesame.

1/2 large bunch kale, washed, dried and torn into small pieces
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 avocado
tamari, to taste
pinch dried ginger
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped small
1/2 sheet nori (or other seaweed of choice, about 1/4 cup’s worth)
1 tsp sesame seeds or gomasio*

Massage kale with lemon, sesame oil, avocado, tamari to taste and ginger. Mix in bell pepper and nori, top with sesame seeds.

*Gomasio is an Asian condiment made from ground sesame seeds and sea salt. I think Gillian would agree with me when I say it goes on everything, it’s that good!

Mexican Kale Salad
Lime juice, cilantro and cayenne pepper give this salad a Mexican kick.

1/2 large bunch kale, washed, dried and torn
1/4 avocado
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
pinch sea salt
cayenne pepper and cumin powder to taste
1/2 cup black beans
1/4 cup corn
1/2 medium vine ripe tomato
1 green onion, sliced
small handful cilantro

Massage kale with avocado, lime, sea salt and spices to taste. Add black beans, corn, tomato, green onion and cilantro, mix to combine.

Now that I think of it, A sprinkle of nooch on top of this would be amazing as well!

**These salads are not entirely raw. That doesn’t mean they’re not super healthy! There is a large quantity of raw greens, healthy fats and crunchy veggie love in there so I think it absolutely counts as a health-promoting, enzyme-filled high-raw lunch. In fact, I think I’m going to make one for myself today!  :)**

What are your favorite kale salad add-ins?

xo

Print Friendly

{ 8 comments }

Gillian March 28, 2011 at 10:32 am

Can I hire you as my private chef please?

Are you okay with goat dairy? I’d really like to re-introduce some dairy to my life, I’m thinking start with Kefir then maybe goat yogurt? I miss yogurt so frickin much!

Kristin March 29, 2011 at 10:08 am

I would LOVE to be your personal chef :)

I am ok with goat dairy. I still eat it in very small amounts; maybe once a week, more like once every couple of weeks. I am ok with small amounts of goat yogurt. I can do kefir but I only do a couple tablespoons at a time! My advice would be to start out with very small amounts, and judge your reaction! I understand… I love me some yogurt as well! Hope it works for ya! xo

Dani @ Body By Nature March 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Love!
On Friday night I taught my sister how to make your famous massaged kale salad. Spreading green love to the masses :)

Hayley March 28, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I love the idea of a Greek kale salad! I have to be honest though…every time I buy organic kale there are bugs on it. I know this is a good thing, it means there are no pesticides on my kale, but I can’t help but be extremely grossed out when I see those little bugs. I’ve developed a bit of an aversion. I guess I should just get over myself so that I can make this beautiful salad!

Kristin March 29, 2011 at 10:05 am

Ewww! Yes, I would be a bit grossed out by that as well. I found spinach in my organic spinach once. I made my husband take it out :P Maybe just make sure you wash it really, really well??

FoodFeud March 28, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I actually just posted about my kale salad! Mine this time had red bell pepper, tomato, and avocado with a dressing. I was considering sun dried tomatoes, cucumbers, or sesame seeds, all of which you suggested but figured simpler was best…this time around! Love all your themed ideas!

Kristin March 29, 2011 at 10:04 am

Sometimes simple is best! Yours sounds delicious :)

Angela@veggievinyasa July 11, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I’m making this right now to go with tofu tacos. Yum! I love this kale recipe (recreated from M Cafe in L.A.):
I also like to put the dressing kale the night before and let it soak in the leaves.

{ 6 trackbacks }