Whole Foods’ Broccoli Crunch Salad

by Kris on January 17, 2012 · 15 comments

IMG_1348

Remember a few weeks back when I gushed about my favorite Whole Foods salad? The Broccoli Crunch salad, it was. It’s not like me to love something as seemingly rich as a mayo-and-bacon laden salad. But there’s just something about this green, crunchy, creamy salad that won we over. So of course, I had to do it up and Make it Homemade.

Using all-natural, nitrate-free bacon {also a fabulous option? homemade tempeh bacon. oh yeah.} and homemade mayo- no soybean or other weird oils, thanks- cleaned it up a bit, and I easily recreated my favorite salad to enjoy any time at home.

IMG_1361

And with just five components (four ingredients and sauce), it’s simple enough for anyone to make in a flash. Especially if you already happen to have a batch of my homemade mayo on hand. Which you should. ;)

Broccoli Crunch Salad
Inspired by the Whole Foods Salad Bar

4 cups broccoli (stems and florets), chopped very finely
1/4 red onion, chopped finely
1/2 cup raisins
4 pieces bacon or tempeh bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled

Dressing:
3/4 cup homemade mayo (a cashew-based mayo would be a great vegan option!)
2-3 tsp djion mustard (to taste)
2 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
sea salt and black pepper, to taste

1. Toss all salad ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.

IMG_1329

2. Whisk dressing ingredients in a smaller bowl.

IMG_1332

3. Pour over salad and toss to combine.

IMG_1338

Serve! *Keeps for about three days in the fridge.

IMG_1353

Another WF-inspired recipe: tarragon chicken salad

What is your favorite hot/cold bar item?

xo

Print Friendly

{ 15 comments }

Gillian January 17, 2012 at 9:22 am

I love salads like this! I’m a die hard broccoli fan, but it’s so much better when it’s marinated. The combo of salty, sweet and crunch in this looks fabulous too!

Kristin January 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

Thanks, G! I am rarely a raw broccoli fan myself, but marinated like this- SO good! I hope you try it! xo

Laurie January 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Is there a recipe for your homemade mayo on your blog, or is that something people get from you directly? (Purchasing it from you wouldn’t work for me as I live waaaaay to far away.) Also, do you have a favourite cashew-based mayo recipe? Thanks!

Kristin January 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

Hi Laurie! I do have a recipe for homemade mayo on the blog, here is the link: http://cookbakenibble.com/2011/08/26/make-it-homemade-mayonnaise/. I am working on a cashew-based mayo, as I haven’t found a favorite yet. Stay tuned! Thanks for reading :) xo

Tasha @ Voracious Eats January 18, 2012 at 7:44 am

I love broccoli so much, and we just got our first box of CSA produce, and it contains tons of broccoli. This recipe is going to be the perfect way to make sure we eat it all and there’s no waste. Fantastic, thank you!

Kristin January 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

I would love having an excess of broccoli! ;) I hope you enjoy it!

Organic Bella April 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I have been searching for this recipe. I used to purchase this at WF in Seattle but they don’t seem to feature it here in No California where I live now. I’d rather make it myself anyways. I made it today with turkey bacon because I don’t eat much pork. It’s not bad, although I miss the salty bacon flavor. I used spicy brown mustard because it’s all I had and it was a little too mustardy for my taste. Still thanks for the basic recipe and I look forward to experimenting with it.

Jill April 10, 2012 at 10:17 pm

what is the recipe for your home-made mayo?

Jill April 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm

LOL sorry just saw what you posted in one of the comments.

Kristin April 11, 2012 at 8:10 am

no problem :)

kristee June 23, 2012 at 6:26 pm

perfect! next time i will increase the amount of broc i use since the recipe makes so much dressing. but your recipe really nailed it. delish! you made me sooo happy on a saturday afternoon!!

thanks!

Kristin June 25, 2012 at 9:58 am

So happy you enjoyed it!

Kristin June 25, 2012 at 10:00 am

I’m so happy you enjoyed it!!

Sienna January 10, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Thanks so much! Just love this Whole Foods salad. Long for it and I’m an hour and 1/2 away from the nearest Whole Foods.

Their curried chicken salad is sure delicious too! Do you have a recipe for that?

Thanks so much!

Sienna

Kris January 17, 2013 at 9:32 am

You’re so welcome! I love that chicken salad, too– I’ll see what I can do :)

Previous post: